This item will be discontinued and replaced by a smaller steak. Special offer on remaining stock.
Onglet is the French name for a cut more commonly known in English as hanger steak. This rather forgotten or secret choice is a flat cut from the lower belly (plate). Along with the flank steak, flap meat and flat iron steak and the tri tip steak, the hanger steak is also referred to one of the butcher's secret cuts. The hanger steak is surprisingly tender and flavorsome.
In recent years the hanger steak also referred to as sagari in Japanese has been featured in many high end yakiniku restaurants. But there has always been a problem with supply, as there are only a few kg per animal - so the prices tend to go up.
The hanger steak gets its name because it .... hangs. In other words, the hanger steak does no work, which means it is incredibly tender. Must be served to medium-rare for maximum tenderness and flavor.
||1 pack, approx 2 hanger steaks per pack.
||Hanger steaks vary in size. Averaging at 2kg (4.4lbs.) per pack.
Shipping & Handling
||Shipping and delivery is frozen
||Keep frozen below -18°C (32°F)
||In the fridge: approx. 36h
In ice-water: approx. 3h
||Roast, grill, braise, broil
||Frozen: see packaging label (usually more than 3 months)
Chilled: Please consume unopened pack within 5 days.
|Also known as
||Onglet, butcher's cut, hanger steak, sagari
||30 days wet-aged
||Individually vacuum packed
The Morgans control all stages of production themselves: rearing, calving, selection and classification, feeding, transport, supervision of harvesting and meat production, packaging, shipping and export to Japan. This way the Morgans make sure that their meat is always of the highest quality. Before export, the beef matures for 30 days and is then flash frozen to protect the aroma.
1. No factory farming! Humanely raised and treated with respect.
2. No growth hormones, antibiotics or steroids used - ever!
3. Free-range pasture raised and grass-fed on massive land, 100% vegetarian feeding.
4. One farm, one family, one importer - traceability from farm to fork.
5. Certified American Wagyu in the US. (Due to regulations only recognized and sold as US Beef in Japan.)
6. Known as Purebred Wagyu in the US. (Due to regulations only recognized and sold as US Beef in Japan.)
7. Preferred by over 70 top-class gourmet restaurants, including Michelin-starred ones.
8. Morgan Ranch Beef won awards for sustainability, taste and tenderness.
9. Rich in monounsaturated fatty acids Omega 3s and 6s - yes, the good fats.
10. Amazingly flavorful, tender and juicy.
At A Glance
||Certified American Wagyu. The breed contains more than 90% Japanese wagyu genetics. Composition of Wagyu, Angus and Hereford. Due to regulations in Japan only recognized as American beef.
View breeding certificate from the American Wagyu association.
||All year 100% free range and all-natural on 50 square kilometers (over 12000 acres!) in the heart of the sandhills. Sitting on the Ogallala Aquifer - the world's largest underground water resource.
||Dan Morgan and family
||Since 1934, Certified American Wagyu since 1992
||Pasture grass-fed their entire life and finished on maize, alfalfa (aka. lucerne), hay, distillers grains, vitamins and minerals (all vegetarian natural feeding) for 210 days before harvesting.
||100% fully traceable from farm to fork
|Animal By-Products Feeding
||Horizon Farms, Inc., Japan
||Morgan Ranch Inc., USA
Instructions & Cooking Tips