Please note this is a B-grade product. There is nothing wrong with the safety or quality of the product. During the freezing process the packaging got squished and the sausages became deformed in a frozen state. Whilst visually not appealing the there is no effect on the taste.
Our original, 100% all-natural hot Italian style sausage. With freshly ground fennel seeds, hot crushed paprika, all natural spices and sea salt. The pork comes from the El Paso family farm, 100% real free-range and naturally raised pork from Hokkaido, Japan.
We use the whole ham (leg) and natural spices only, minimally processed, without the use of hormones, subtherapeutic antibiotics, preservatives, additives, gluten, lactose, MSG, fillers, enhancers, sugar or any artificial ingredients or nasties, just family farm produced, ethically raised pork and top quality natural spices. Hands down, this might be the cleanest sausage available.
The spices add a moderate hotness to this sausage. We tried to keep it as close as possible to the American style hot Italian sausage found almost anywhere in the States. It won't make you blow steam out of your ears but will certainly increase your body temperature.
One sausage weighs 80g (2.8 oz.) - you get 3 per pack. That's a healthy portion size. Freshly prepared and blast frozen. They come raw and uncooked. You can simmer them in their packaging for 10-15 minutes before finishing them off in the fry-pan or grill for a crispy gold-brown skin. Goes well for any occasion, breakfast, BBQ, lunch or dinner. Exclusively at Horizon Farms.
1 pack contains 3 sausages
Approx. 240g (8.4 oz.)
Shipping & Handling
Shipping and delivery is frozen
Keep frozen below -18°C (32°F)
In the fridge: approx. 12h In ice-water: approx. <1h
cast-iron skillet, frypan or the grill.
Frozen: see packaging label (usually more than 3 months) Chilled: Please consume unopened pack within 4 days.
Also known as
Salsiccia Sausage, New York style Italian Sausage
Pork, sea salt, black pepper, fennel seed, red pepper flakes and other natural spices.
Country of Origin
Uncooked raw sausage. Cook thoroughly.
Vacuum packed, 3 sausages per pack.
Happy as a pig in mud. Bathing in the nearby river during summer and playing around on the snow fields in winter - that's the happy life of the pigs on the family-owned El Paso Ranch in Hokkaido that are raised completely free-range in the Tokachi area. And when we say free range we mean the real deal free-range. Spring, summer, autumn and winter - 24 hours, all year free roaming on 30 hectares (75 acres) of land. The pigs are a slow and naturally grown British Camborough breed. They are fed large variety of feed mixes that contain all kind of grains, corn, soybeans and other vegetables and farm produce (pigs can’t survive only on grass). Newborn stay in a shelter together with their mother until they learn how to take care of themselves. No tail clipping of piglets, no gestation crates for sows. No factory farming. They receive all the respect, love and care. See for yourself.
1. No factory farming! Humanely raised and treated with respect. The Elpaso Ranch is member of the Animal Welfare Community of Japan.
2. No growth hormones, no subtherapeutic use of antibiotics - ever!
3. No gestation crates for sows. No teeth clipping or tail docking of piglets.
4. Fed contains natural fresh soil, charcoal and minerals which characterizes the pork aroma and taste positively.
5. Pigs are fed a large variety of grains, nuts and protein sources as well as grass roots, bamboo, pumpkin potatoes, sunflowers and walnuts.
6. Due to the healthy and stress free lifestyle of the El Paso pigs, the oleic acids (the good and healthy acids!) are significantly higher than regular Japanese pork at 45%!
7. El Paso pork is naturally slow-grown pork. Rearing takes 80 days longer than factory farmed pork. Bred and raised for taste.
8. All year free-range pasture raised on 30 hectares (75 acres) of land and forest. Pigs move around freely 24h a day, in the cold winters as well as in the hot summers of Hokkaido.
9. One farm, one family, one processor - traceability from farm to fork.
10. Pork is shortly aged after harvesting breaking the proteins into savoury amino acids for a superior umami taste.
At A Glance
El Paso Rancho
Tokaichi, Hokkaido, Japan
All year 100% free range pasture raised
A large variety of grains and protein sources (wheat, whey, corn, soybeans, vegetables).
Hirabayashi family and staff
100% fully traceable from farm to fork
Subtherapeutic Antibiotics Use
Instructions & Cooking Tips
Thaw in the fridge overnight. The sausages come freshly made and raw. Fry pan or skillet works best although you can sous-vide them in the packaging for 45 min at 70 degrees Celcius (160 degrees Fahrenheit) or let them simmer in beer for 10 minutes before finishing them off in the frypan on high heat.
For the images we cooked the sausages straight on the hot plate. Using a bit of olive oil. Nice and slowly. Pork meat has to be thoroughly cooked - there is no medium rare. You can use to cover to accelerate the cooking process and avoid an oily mess. Make sure to actually make the skin crispy dark brown.
Cook nice and slow until slightly firm to the touch. The sausage will have a nice round shape once they're cooked. Let them rest for a couple of minutes for the juices to settle. Cutting or biting straight into the sausage will make all the juices flow out.
Juicy and family farmed healthy pork meat with a blend of all natural spices. All 100% natural and free of any nasties. They way sausages should be.